Sunday, February 20, 2011

playing in the mud.

If you know me, you know that I am addicted to the pottery wheel.  This year I am trying to challenge myself by stepping away and devoting some of my time and energy to .... *gasp* hand-building.  Here are a few pieces I have been working on this week--in their rough draft form.  I have been using the slab roller and texture mats to make these.  Dare I say that I am finding the hand-built projects to be very rewarding and fun?

 These were meant to be butter dishes, but they ended up a little large--I might have to sell them as "cheese keepers." You could put your Roquefort in there... get it "rock"forte... Bad, I know. We'll see after they are done.  Sometimes that 10-12% shrinkage really ends up making things look a lot smaller.  I am going to add some cute little handles that look like rock cairns.



 Sushi trays?  I think they could also work for other appetizers or as candle holders, etc...My fave is the one with the fish fins.
These are going to become mugs when they are be-handled and sanded.
Sometimes I think clay is most beautiful at this stage, but everyone else seems to prefer that shiny, finished, glazed look:)  

No comments:

Post a Comment